Friday, February 22, 2013

Coconut Mandazi/Mahamri

Friday afternoon,after lunch as usual I was thinking "What should I cook for dinner?" though I ask   this question daily to myself .Also to my mom and sister ,when I call them daily on phone (hehehehe!!!) .As it was weekend I was looking for something special as usual.Browsing ,browsing ,browsing at last I found my dinner receipe and its Coconut Mandazi.



Coconut Mandazi
(Adapted from Fauziaskitchenfun )

Ingredients
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp yeast
  • 7 tbspn sugar
  • 1tsp of finely grinded cardamom powder
  • 3/4 cup heavy coconut milk
  • close to 1/4 cup light coconut milk
Method
  • In a mixing bowl ,add all purpose flour ,yeast ,sugar and cardamom powder.
  • Boil  3/4 cup water in a cup and stir in  2 tbsp maggi coconut milk powder.Add the mixture little by little to the dry ingrdients  and knead to make a dough.The 3/4 cup coconut milk won't be enough to knead the dough, so I added less then 1/4 cup of warm water to make a soft dough.
  • Cling wrap the mixing bowl and keep it in warm place till the dough rises to double.(Keep  in warm place. I kept inside my oven with the lights on . If you are in a very cold place,just keep a pan over stove and heat it for some time and keep the hot pan directly into the oven .)
  • When the dough doubles ,take it out from the oven . Divide the dough into two and you can save one for later use.
  • Place the dough on a floured surface and make 8  balls out of it.
  • Roll each ball with a rolling pin into circular disc and cut each circular disc into fourths with a pizza cutter.Then you get 32 quaters from 8 circular discs.
  • The original receipe asked to keep the 32 sections covered for and hour and so in warm place again to rise.Since everyone at my house were hungry I skipped that step.
  • Heat oil in a wok /Kadai /Cheenchatti .When the oil starts steaming ,deep fry each mandazi till it fully fluffs and become light to golden brown on both the sides.
  • Remove from oil and keep a plate with kitchen towels in it.
  • Serve warm with a hot cup of coffee/tea, and goes well with many meals, especially meat receipes....
Luv
Rooster

No comments: