Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Quinoa payasam

J introduced me to Quinoa , pronounced as "keenwa".He brought it from costco, just to avoid the intake of carb.I made rice with it according the instructions on the packet.It tasted good with egg curry and carrot thoran. I had some leftover quinoa and I did a small experiment on that , which turned out really good.A small treat on valentines day.
Happy Valentines Day for all the viewers! !!!

                               

Ingredients
  • Quinoa-1/2 cup 
  • Brown candy/jaggery -1/2 - 1 cup , melted and filtered 
  • Ghee- 1tbspn
  • blanched  almonds- 1/4cups crushed with hand 
  • a small pinch of salt
Method
  • Cook quinoa according to the instructions on the packet.
  • Heat a urulli/saucepan , add the cooked quinoa and the melted and filtered jaggery,with a pinch of salt in low heat, till it turns to a thick consistency.Keep stirring to avoid the mixture from sticking to the pan. (In malayalam we say "nallavanam varattiyedukkukka", which means the consistency becomes thick and the color of jaggery changes from light brown to dark brown.)
  • At this point add 1tbsp ghee or butter and keep stiring .
  • Decorate with crushed almonds at the end.

Note: I wanted to make it like"neypayasam" served in temple back in Kerala.For me it almost tasted close to that.
Also sorry for not uploading the photo , as these days I am not able to upload the pictures here.


Luv
Rooster

3 comments:

Deepanjali said...

Hi Nayana,
Your recipes sound delicious however I would prefer to see picture of the recipe along with the blog posts. :-)

Great Job!

Deepanjali

Unknown said...

Hey,
Sorry about that.. I will sort it oout soon n come back with pictures..
Come home sometimes n I will make it for you.
Rooster

Unknown said...

Deepanjali,

I have updated the picture ..

Hope you saw it..

Rooster